- Use fine tweezers and grab the tick as close to the skin as possible.
- Do not grab the tick’s abdomen.
- Pull the tick straight out.
- Do not squeeze or aggravate the tick.
- Clean the bite area with soap and rubbing alcohol.
- Apply antibiotic cream
- Monitor the site of the bite. If you develop rash, swelling, fever, chills or aches, visit your health provider.
- Save the tick if possible for identification if needed.
See an animated video on removing ticks by the Tick Encounter Resource Center at https://www.youtube.com/user/TickEncounter