Dr. Liana Barron with All Creatures Animal Hospital in Eagle Point says, “The signals that your pet may be in danger are lack of appetite, vomiting and not passing stools. It’s important for people to know what’s normal stool for their dog. If you’re seeing loose stools, colored fabric or bits of plastic, chances are good that he’s eating something he shouldn’t be. Other clues are drooling, shaking, nausea, pale gums or unexplained bleeding. Some toxins can cause neurological problems like seizures. A real hallmark of marijuana ingestion is urinary incontinence and they’re usually very wobbly on their feet.”
If your pet is in distress, call your vet immediately. Do not give any treatments or medications without advice from your vet.
Emergency Care 24/7
Southern Oregon Veterinary Specialty Center
4901 Biddle Road, Central Point
Hotline: 888-426-4435, available 24/7 for a fee of $65 per case
Be prepared to provide the name of the poison your animal was exposed to, the amount and how long ago; the species, breed, age, sex and weight of your pet; and the symptoms your pet is displaying. You’ll also be asked to provide your name, address, phone number and credit card information.